A curated list of command line apps.
Inspired by the awesome list thing.
Table of Contents
Table of Contents generated with DocToc
- Command Line Learning
- Data Manipulation
- Files and Directories
- Terminal Utilities
- Version Control
- Text Manipulation
- Other Awesome Lists
- cmus - Small, fast and powerful console music player for Unix-like operating systems.
- Instant-Music-Downloader - Instant music downloader.
- itunes-remote - It’s about listening to music without leaving the terminal. macOS only.
- moviemon - Everything about your movies within the command line.
- pianobar - Pandora client.
- quote-cli - Get a random quote or the quote of the day in your CLI.
- movie - Get movie info or compare movies in terminal.
- somafm-cli - Listen to SomaFM in your terminal.
- nehm - Console tool, which downloads, sets IDv3 tags and adds to your iTunes (if you use macOS) your SoundCloud likes in convenient way
- football-cli - Get live scores, fixtures, standings of almost every football competition/league in your terminal.
- pockyt - Read, Manage, and Automate your Pocket collection.
- splash-cli - Beautiful wallpapers from unsplash
- facebook-cli - Facebook command line interface
- TTYtter - Twitter client- (original).
- Rainbowstream - A smart and nice Twitter client on terminal written in Python.
- youtube-dl - a small command-line program to download videos from YouTube.com and a few more sites. You can install with
brew install youtube-dl.
- open-pip-cli - Watch movies in macOS native picture-in-picture player from your terminal.
- bcal - Byte CALculator for storage conversions and calculations.
- boilr - Dependency free CLI to create projects from boilerplate templates.
- cookiecutter - creates projects from cookiecutters (project templates)
- dockly - Interactive CLI for managing Docker containers.
- themer - Generate personalized themes for your editor, terminal, wallpaper, Slack, and more.
- legit - Choose from many Open Source licences to generate a LICENSE file or add license headers to files.
- rebound - Instantly fetch Stack Overflow results in your terminal when you get a compiler error.
- bower-name-cli - Check whether a package name is available on bower.
- caniuse-cmd - Searches caniuse.com about browser support of feature.
- htconvert - Convert .htaccess redirects to nginx.conf redirects.
- is-up-cli - Check whether a website is up or down.
- npm-name-cli - Check whether a package name is available on npm.
- npm-user-cli - Get user info of a npm user.
- pageres-cli - Capture website screenshots.
- strip-css-comments-cli - Strip comments from CSS.
- viewport-list-cli - Return a list of devices and their viewports.
- surge - deploy directory to the web.
- acmetool - An easy-to-use command line tool for automatically acquiring certificates from ACME servers.
- loadtest - Runs a load test on the selected URL. Easy to extend minimally for your own ends.
- wp-cli - Manage WordPress installations, update plugins, set up multisite installs and much more, without using a web browser.
- diff2html-cli - Command-line tool to parse git diffs as JSON and generate pretty HTML.
- npm-home - Open the npm page of the package in the current directory.
- HTTPie - A user-friendly HTTP client.
- serve - Easy to use static file server with features like https, CORS and GZIP compression.
- mobicon-cli - Mobile app icon generator.
- mobisplash-cli - Mobile app splash screen generator.
- deviceframe - Put device frames around your mobile/web/progressive app screenshots.
- aws-cli - Universal Command Line Interface for Amazon Web Services.
- azure-cli - Command-line tools for Azure.
- SAWS - Supercharged AWS CLI.
- s3cmd - Fully-Featured S3 client.
- lstags - Synchronize Docker images across different registries.
- cycli - A terminal client for Neo4j with autocompletion and syntax highlighting.
- mycli - A Terminal Client for MySQL with AutoCompletion and Syntax Highlighting.
- pgcli - A Terminal Client for Postgre with AutoCompletion and Syntax Highlighting.
- AutoScreenshotUploader - Instantly capture and upload screenshot to imgur.
- bitly-client - Make and manage Bitly shortlinks with this command line utility
- doing - A command line tool for keeping track of what you’re doing and tracking what you’ve done.
- ffscreencast - ffmpeg screencast with video overlay and multi monitor support.
- idea - A lightweight CLI tool and module for keeping ideas in a safe place quick and easy.
- imgur-uploader-cli - Upload images to imgur.
- geeknote - Console client for Evernote.
- ledger - Powerful, double-entry accounting system that is accessed from the UNIX command-line.
- meetup-cli - Meetup.com command line interface
- The Mutt E-Mail Client - Email client.
- Taskwarrior - Free and Open Source Software that manages your TODO list from your command line.
- Timetrap - Simple command line timetracker.
- terjira - Command line power tool for Jira
- ipt - Command line interface for pivotal tracker
- g3l - Git is easy, github cli is easy but g3l easiest git cli in the w0rld!
- uber-cli - Uber, at your fingertips.
- moro - Time Tracker with a single command
- Buku - Powerful command-line bookmark manager
- googler - Google Search, Google Site Search, Google News from the terminal
- calcurse - Calcurse, a calendar and scheduling application for the command line.
- cash-cli - Convert 32 currencies from the command line!
- papis - Powerful and extensible document and bibliography manager.
- archive-type-cli - Detect the archive type of a Buffer/Uint8Array.
- battery-level - Get current battery level.
- brightness-cli - Change screen brightness- windows version.
- screensaver - Start the screensaver.
- wallpaper-cli - Get or set the desktop wallpaper.
- yank - Yank terminal output to clipboard.
- text-meme - Generate text meme.
- s - Open a web search in your terminal. Supports multiple search providers.
- google-font-installer - Search, download, and install any Google Font on your local machine.
- aria2 - Lightweight multi-protocol and multi-source, cross platform download utility. It supports HTTP/HTTPS, FTP, SFTP, BitTorrent and Metalink.
- mklicense - Create a custom LICENSE file painlessly with customized info. Busy people & beginner's friendly.
- share-cli - Quickly share files from command line with your local network.
- remote-share-cli - Quickly share files from your command line with the world.
- moeda - A foreign exchange rates and currency conversion using cli
- wego - Get the weather right in your browser or your console.
- mapscii - Terminal Map Viewer - the whole world in your console!
- website-popup-cli - Quickly watch a window in a pop up window without closing or opening another full screen window.
- getnews.tech - Fetch news headlines from various news outlets in your terminal.
- has - Checks for the presence of various commands and their versions on the path.
- decktape - PDF exporter for HTML presentations.
- carbon-now-cli -
🎨Beautiful images of your code — from right inside your terminal.
- bundle-id-cli - Get bundle identifier from a bundle name (macOS): Safari → com.apple.Safari.
- bundle-name-cli - Get bundle name from a bundle identifier (macOS): com.apple.Safari → Safari.
- lnfs-cli - Safely force create symlinks.
- osx-version-cli - Get the macOS version of the current system.
- osx-wifi-cli - A cli for managing wifi connections on OSX.
- active-win-cli - Get the title/id/etc of the active window
- stronghold - Easily configure MacOS security settings from the terminal.
- shallow-backup - Easily create lightweight documentation of installed packages, dotfiles, and more.
Command Line Learning
- cmdchallenge - presents small shell challenge with user submitted solutions.
- explainshell - type a command line snippet to see the help text for each argument.
- howdoi - Instant coding answers via the command line.
- how2 - Finds the simplest way to do something on a unix bash command line (Nodejs implementation of howdoi).
- shortcutfoo - Learn shortcuts for VIM, Emacs, git, bash and more.
- The Fuck - Magnificent app which corrects your previous console command.
- tldr - Simplified and community-driven man pages.
- Wat - Instant, central, community-built docs.
- jq - Command-line JSON processor http://stedolan.github.io/jq/.
- ramda-cli - A CLI tool for processing data with functional pipelines.
- yaml-cli - A simple CLI for querying and updating YAML files.
- jp - Simply parse and drill into JSON on the commandline, with jsonpath and stdin stream support (jq compatible, not a replacement).
- fx - Command-line JSON processing tool
Files and Directories
- ranger - a console file manager with VI key bindings.
- midnight-commander - a feature rich visual file manager
- organize-cli - Organize your files, imagine cleaning up your downloads in an instant.
Deleting, Copying, and Renaming
- trash-cli - Move files and directories to the trash.
- empty-trash-cli - Empty the trash.
- trashss - ( only) Trash screenshots on desktop.
- del-cli - Delete files and folders.
- cpy-cli - Copies files.
- rename-cli - A cross-platform tool for renaming files quickly, especially multiple files at once.
- chokidar-cli - CLI to watch file system changes.
- file-type-cli - Detect the file type of a file or stdin.
- strip-json-comments-cli - Strip comments from JSON. Lets you use comments in your JSON files!
- DocToc - Generates table of contents for markdown files inside local git repository. Links are compatible with anchors generated by github or other sites.
- alder - A minimal implementation of the UNIX tree command with colors!
- exa - An improved version of
lswritten in Rust.
- autojump - A cd command that learns - easily navigate directories from the command line- https://github.com/wting/autojump/wiki.
- fasd - Command-line productivity booster, offers quick access to files and directories, inspired by autojump, z and v.
- pm - The easy way to switch to your projects on the shell.
- z - z is the new j, yo.
- happyfinder - (another) Fuzzy file finder for the command line.
- PathPicker - After parsing the output from a command, PathPicker presents you with a nice UI to select which files you're interested in.
- find-up-cli - Find a file by walking up parent directories.
- fz - Seamless fuzzy tab completion for z
- nnn - File browser and disk usage analyzer with excellent desktop integration
- gotty - Share your terminal as a web application.
- localtunnel - Exposes your localhost to the world for easy testing and sharing.
- mosh - Remote SSH client that allows roaming with intermittent connectivity.
- ngrok - secure introspectable tunnels to localhost.
- serveo - Expose local servers to the internet using only a SSH client.
- seashells.io - Pipe output from command-line programs to the web in real-time.
- teleconsole - Share your UNIX terminal in seconds.
- tmate.io - Instant terminal (tmux) sharing.
- warp - Secure and simple terminal sharing.
- OverTime - Easy time-overlap tables for remote teams.
- undollar - undollar strips the '$' preceding copy-pasted terminal commands.
- CLI GitHub -
📺A fancy GitHub client for command line.
- Gistup - Create a gist from terminal, then use git to update it.
- git commander - A git tool with a easy terminal interface.
- git-stats -
🍀A GitHub-like contributions calendar, but locally, with all your git commits.
- hub - A command-line wrapper for git that makes you better at GitHub.
- dev-time - Get the current local time of a GitHub user.
- git-labelmaker - Edit GitHub labels from the command line.
- tig - Text-mode interface for Git.
- grv - Text-mode interface for Git with customisable vi bindings.
- git-standup - Recall what you did on the last working day.
- starring - Automatically star the npm-packages that you are using on GitHub.
- git-secret - Store your private data inside a git repository.
- gitlab-cli - gitlab cli for creating merge request from the command line.
- git-extras - Little git extras like git-ignore, git-setup, git-changelog, git-release, git-effort and more.
- clog - A conventional changelog for the rest of us.
- gifgen - Simple high quality GIF encoding.
- gifsicle - Create, manipulate, and optimize GIF images and animations.
- ttygif - Convert terminal recordings to animated gifs.
- ttygif - ttyrec to gif.
- ttystudio - A terminal-to-gif recorder minus the headaches.
- asciinema - Terminal session recorder and the best companion of asciinema.org.
- givegif - GIFs on the command line.
- imgp - Blazing fast batch image resizer and rotator
- SVGO - SVG Optimizer is a Nodejs-based tool for optimizing SVG vector graphics files.
- parse-columns-cli - Parse text columns, like the output of unix commands. Returns JSON that you can manipulate with tools like jq or underscore-cli.
- cmatrix - Show a scrolling 'Matrix' like screen- (original).
- pipes.sh - Shows random pipes that grow across the screen.
- cli-mandelbrot - A cli for traversing the Mandelbrot fractal.
- WOPR - A simple markup language for creating rich terminal reports, presentations and infographics.
- sparkly-cli - Generate sparklines ▁▂▃▅▂▇..
- JackPaper - Pull random/queried images from unplash.com and apply to your desktop wallpaper.
- app-path-cli - Get the path to an app (macOS).
- Bible.Js CLI client -
📖Bible.JS CLI client. Read the Holy Bible via the command line.
- birthday - Know when a friend's birthday is coming.
- cowsay - You can install with homebrew.
- cgasm - A tool that gives x86 assembly documentation. It is pronounced "SeekAzzem".
- detect-indent-cli - Detect the indentation of code.
- emoj - Find relevant emoji from text on the command-line.
- emoji-finder - Quickly find and copy emoji to the clipboard via the command-line
- fortune - Shows a random fortune.
- fullname-cli - Get the fullname of the current user.
- get-port-cli - Get an available port.
- gzip-size-cli - Get the gzipped size of a file or stdin.
- HASHA -cli - Hashing made simple. Get the hash of text or stdin.
- is-reachable-cli - Check if hostnames are reachable or not.
- kill-tabs - Kill all Chrome tabs to improve performance, decrease battery usage, and save memory.
- leven-cli - Measure the difference between two strings using the Levenshtein distance algorithm.
- maybe - See what a program does before deciding whether you really want it to happen.
- mdlt - Do quick math right from the command line.
- medium-cli - Read medium.com stories within your terminal, also gives top stories.
- open-shortcut-cli - Open the URL from a web shortcut file in the browser.
- pkg-dir-cli - Find the root directory of a npm package.
- speedtest-net - Test your internet connection speed and ping using speedtest.net from the CLI. -- speed-test - A wrapper around speeedtest-net with different UI.
- shortcut-url-cli - Get the URL from a web shortcut file.
- SpeedRead - A simple terminal-based open source Spritz-alike.
- to-double-quotes - Convert matching single-quotes to double-quotes: I 'love' unicorns => I "love" unicorns.
- to-single-quotes - Convert matching double-quotes to single-quotes: I "love" unicorns → I 'love' unicorns.
- yosay - Like cowsay, but for yeoman.
- gdb-dashboard - Modular visual interface for GDB in Python.
- weather-cli - Check the weather for your city from your terminal.
- hget - Render websites in plain text from your terminal.
- ponysay - Pony rewrite of cowsay.
- google-wifi-status - A Node.js CLI app that displays status of your Google Wifi / OnHub router.
- calories - Calories and weight tracker.
- trino - Trino CLI allows a quick and easy translation of words and phrases entered in the command line.
- alex - This enhances texts with checking for insensitive, inconsiderate writing by catching many possible offences.
- YuleLog - Terminal based Christmas YuleLog fireplace.
- lolcat - Outputs text in rainbow colors.
- xiringuito - A "poor man's VPN". An SSH-based "VPN" that's easy to install, but with slower performance than a real VPN.
- nasa-cli - Download NASA Picture of the Day from your terminal.
Other Awesome Lists
- awesome-git-addons - A curated list of addons that extends git cli.
To the extent possible under law, Adam Garrett-Harris has waived all copyright and related or neighboring rights to this work.