gamerOS: the definitive couch gaming experience
What is it?
gamerOS is an operating system focused exclusively on a couch gaming experience. After installation, boot directly into Steam Big Picture and start playing your favorite games.
If you want Steam in your living room, you want gamerOS.
See the GitHub issues for a list of current limitations and bugs.
easy to install
boot into your new gaming system within minutes (work in progress)
only what you need to play games and nothing more
out of the box
start gaming right away with zero configuration
always up to date
frequent updates delivering the latest drivers and software for an optimal experience
fully automatic updates that run in the background without disrupting gameplay (details)
fully controller compatible interface with no mouse or keyboard required (but you can still use a mouse and keyboard if you really want to)
use any controller
support for Xbox 360, Xbox One, DualShock 4, Switch Pro, Steam controllers and more (compatibility varies by game)
play any game
out of the box support for playing NES, SNES, Genesis, N64, PlayStation, Wii, Steam games and more (only Steam games are supported out of the box, emulators are pre-installed but currently require manual setup)
- a wired internet connection
- 4GB or more RAM
- a single 10GB or larger dedicated storage device
- a single connected TV or monitor with a resolution of 720p, 1080p, or 2160p
- download and boot into the Arch Linux installer
- make sure you are connected to the internet, consult the Arch Linux Wiki for help
- download the gamerOS install script with the following command:
- set executable permissions:
chmod +x install.sh
/dev/sdXis the device you wish to install to; for a list of installation targets run
- NOTE: if you see an error related to
fsck.overlay, it is safe to ignore
rebootto restart the computer after setup is complete
- after restarting you will be presented with the SteamOS setup wizard and then Steam will start in big picture mode
- you can open a terminal by using the keyboard combination
ctrl + alt + f2and log in with username
gamer; switch back to big picture mode by pressing
ctrl + alt + f7
You can join our community here!